Tarta Regina, also known as Queen Cake, is a dessert that originated in Spain. It is a layered cake made with sponge cake, whipped cream, and fruit jam.
Here’s a recipe to make Tarta Regina:
For the sponge cake:
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
For the filling:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup strawberry jam (or your favorite fruit flavor)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and line two 9-inch cake pans with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the egg yolk mixture, mixing until well combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the cake batter until no streaks remain.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool completely inthe pans.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate.
- Spread the strawberry jam over the top of the cake layer.
- Spread a thick layer of whipped cream over the strawberry jam.
- Place the second cake layer on top of the whipped cream.
- Spread another layer of whipped cream over the top of the second cake layer.
- Decorate the top of the cake with fresh fruit or additional whipped cream, if desired.
- Refrigerate the Tarta Regina for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow the filling to set.
Tarta Regina is a delicious and elegant dessert that is perfect for special occasions or a fancy dinner party. It can be made with any fruit jam or flavor of your choice, making it a versatile dessert that can be enjoyed any time of year.